Aug 25, 2017

Switch on the filters

One day, a man came up to the great philosopher.  “Sir, I have just heard some news about one of your friends.”  he excitedly exclaimed.

“Before you tell me this news, we need to make sure that it passes the triple filter test,” responded Socrates.

“The first test is that of truth.  Tell me, do you know that what you’re going to tell me is absolutely true?”  asked Socrates. After thinking for a moment, the man said, “I heard this news from someone else, so I’m not 100% sure if it’s true.”

“The second test is that of goodness,” Socrates continued, “Is what you’re about to tell me something good?”. “No, actually it’s the opposite…”explained the man

Socrates interrupted the man, “So what you’re going to tell me is neither true, nor good?” The man was slightly embarrassed and shrugged his shoulders.

Socrates continued, “There is one final test which is usefulness.  Is what you’re about to tell me going to be useful?”
“Probably not,” the man replied.

“Well, if you’re going to tell me something that’s not true, good or useful, then why tell me at all?” responded the philosopher.

We all come across salacious information from time to time that we feel compelled to pass on to others. The filters could help us in making a better judgment about the information that we consume every day.  Next time pass the information through the triple filter test & if it fails, lets realize that we are only wasting our precious time.

Imagine how different the world would be if we only choose to seek and create information that is true, good, or useful.

No comments: